Monday, April 9, 2007

The Beggar’s Opera

I enjoyed reading The Beggars Opera because it was different in comparison to the other plays that we have read this term. The play takes digs at the Italian Opera and people from the higher class, and I also enjoy how Gay attacks the judicial system and punishments as well. It is amazing how differently Macheath is treated within the prison simply because he has money. He can afford the best chains, and can live a comfortable life, almost as if he wasn’t in prison at all. It is disturbing to think of some of the poorer people in prison at that time, because it would have been a hellish nightmare instead of a minor inconvenience. I think that out of all of the plays we’re read this semester, The Beggars Opera would be the most enjoyable to see staged. I also really enjoyed the class presentation given on the The Beggars Opera as well because it helped me understand the play better. Good job guys!

No comments: