Sunday, March 18, 2007

"The Way of the World"

Greetings,

I will begin this blog by saying that I did not find "The Way of the World" an enjoyable read whatsoever. After several attempts of trying to read the first act I put the text down and went to sleep. After a good nights rest I was able to stay awake long enough to finish the play. The characters from "The Way of the World" seemed to blend with the characters from the previous plays. Fainall was in love with Mrs.Marwood, Mirabll was in love with Mrs. Millamant, etc etc. I had to keep referring to the dramatis personae in order to keep the names straight and remember which characters were married, and who was in love with who. "Love" & marriage don't seem to go hand and hand for the characters in eighteenth century drama Convenience, lust, and money seemed to have been at the top of the priority list for many of the characters. I'm finding the plays repetitive and disheartening.

1 comment:

Lauraz Fixation said...

Yes I agree, I too am having a difficulty trying to keep some of the characters seperate from other plays. Some of the characters from the plays studied earlier in this course have very similar personalitites to the plays we are studying now. I manage to keep them straight by writing up a small character profile for each main character after I read the play. sometimes they are only a few lines, but just enough so that I know exactly who I am talking about and what he or she did in their play. I am now finding this VERY useful, especially when working on my paper.
Laura Alyward