Sunday, March 18, 2007

"Scrub" hehe

Haha I’m glad I wasn’t the only person in the class who immediately thought of shrek when they read the name “George Farquhar.” I’m crazy about the shrek movies and had a nice chuckle as I remembered Lord Farquaad’s ridiculous laugh from the movie! Pure hilarity. Anyways, The Beaux Stratagem wasn’t a bad play, and was much more enjoyable then some of the others. The play had a few elements that were not found and the other plays. Divorce between Sullen and Mrs. Sullen was a new twist and was not seen in any of the other plays. Most of the unhappy couples from the previous plays stayed together despite their differences, even though most of them had lovers and was deceitful in one way or another. I can’t argue with Mrs. Sullen for leaving her husband, because he was a brute who treated her badly. I must admit I didn’t pick up on Mrs. Sullen being raped within the marriage, and was shocked because of how terrible the marriage must have been. I also really enjoyed the names of the characters because the seemed to suit the characters so well. Some of the most obvious of course was “Scrub” who was a servant, and lady Bountiful who was rich.

No comments: