Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'm sick and cranky

Ahoy! I'm not feeling well this evening and I have a terrible cough so I'm going to keep this blog a little on the short side. I finished reading The Country Wife this afternoon which I thought was interesting but a little confusing. Maybe I missed the footnote...but I had no idea what the heck cuckolding was until after I read the play. I had a general idea but after I looked it up the play made much more sense! I am beginning to notice a pattern within these 18th century plays for having more than one plot, which I find make the plays more enjoyable to read. Horner's deceitfulness about his "capabilities", Pinchwife and Margery's relationship as a married couple, and Harcourt and Alithea's relationship are the three plots found in the play. I thought it was hilarious how Pinchwife wound up telling Margery everything he didn't want her to know, and I enjoyed that it was an ongoing joke throughout the play.
This play was very sexual in nature and I can see how it would have been scandalous to have preformed at the time. Horner's character was completely sexually driven, and the women (Margery especially) also had a keen interest in sex.

1 comment:

Cass said...

Horner's character was completely sexually driven, and the women (Margery especially) also had a keen interest in sex.

I wonder how much the women's underlying sexual desire is similar to today's obsession with "straight-laced girls who secretly are wild in bed"? (Y'know, school-girl outfits and that kind of thing.)